Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Deanna & Will At The Galaxy Fair (Part Two)



Guest Poster: Deanna Troi

Have you ever had the impression that you're left hanging in mid-air?

That's what happened to Will and me. We've come to the Galaxy Fair, where I had a lot of fun in the bouncy castle. Then Will got me a kewpie doll from the shooting gallery. Everything seemed to be going peachy when we started going up on the ferris wheel. Once we reached the top...it broke down!

------------------

"Can't they do anything, Will?" I ask as I sniffle away. The cold wind is approaching, the wind is increasing, and the seat we are in is rocking.

"I'm sure they are doing everything they can, Deanna." Will answers.

"Well they look frantic down there." I say in a slightly sarcastic way, "The organisers are running around frantically as if they are ants whose farm has just had a bucket of water thrown over it! Can't they beam us off?"



"No, they can't" he answers, "This planet is noted for having an old-style 20th century fairground. They are not going to implement any present day equipment like beaming technology. It took a lot of persuasion to get them to allow our shuttlecraft to land on the outerlying city."

"So what are we gonna do?" I ask, "I don't need my empathic abilities to tell me that everyone one on the wheel is very worried...and that goes for me three times over! Why did I let you persuade me to come here?"

"Deanna" Will exclaims, "It was YOU who wanted to come here. I was content with a holodeck version."

I mutter to myself then keep quiet. It's what I always do when I know he's right. It's a woman's privilege to sulk in these instances.

"Can you see that?" Will points, "There's a hook where the mechanism is all caught up. All it takes is that to be freed today and we'll start moving again"

"Have you lost your mind!" I exclaim, "You'd have to climb out and,,,"

"I'm going to do it." he decides.



He clambers out of the seat, which makes it start to rock even more. If you've ever wondered if a Betazoid can turn green when they feel ill, the answer is yes.

Will slides down the pole below and unhooks the tangled rope. After a few grinding creaks, the ferris wheel starts to move around again....with Will hanging in the centre!

I scream out, but as the seat lowers down towards the ground, he manages to gradually ease himself on to the seat we had.

"My hero!" I say, and give him a big kiss.

When we disembark, all the passengers congratulate him on his daring rescue mission. A policeman approaches.



"I'll have to ask you to leave the Galaxy Fair, sir." he states in a pompous manner.

"Why?" Will asks, although after the incident, I'm more than ready to go.

"I'm the Health & Safety Officer for this park." he answers robotically, "By leaving the ferris wheel seat, it was in clear violation of the rules that are stated when embarking."

"But he saved everyone on the wheel!" I protest.

"That is no concern of mine." the Officer continues, "You breached Health & Safety."

He gives Will a ticket and tells him he is banned from future visits to the park.

"I think we'll stick to holodeck versions in future." I tell Will, as we walk out, "And make sure there isn't a Heath & Safety Officer in the program!"

9 comments:

The Curmudgeon said...

That's what I like about the Holodeck -- a picnic in the country... but write the ants out of the program -- a visit to a sidewalk cafe in Paris... but make the help friendly and attentive -- or, in your future, a visit to a fair... but the carnies will be wholesome and nice and have all their teeth.

Except when the safeties fail, of course, and the Holodeck tries to kill you.

Don't forget to send the ticket to Star Fleet for payment. You don't want a warrant against you from such a planet as this....

Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

On the bright side, Riker probably got all the funnel cake he could eat, right?

Anonymous said...

Ah Health and Safety will get you every time!

Unknown said...

Ah yes, fodder for the Roy Orbison song, "The Comedians". I'm serious!:)

The Punisher said...

some people just take their jobs too seriously

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Ferris wheels are made to break down.

Fly Girl said...

Banned from the park! That's too cruel. Will doesn't deserve that. How about, he just can't have any candy floss in the next galaxy?

Teena in Toronto said...

NetChick says hello :)

Linda said...

As they say "no good deed goes unpunished", does it? Ah well, at least everyone got down safe and sound!