Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Admiral's Conference

That's all I've need. I've been invited to the Admiral's Conference.

How am I going to get out of it this year?

The conference is the dullest event on the Starfleet calendar. The food is the worst in the galaxy and all the talk consists of is a lot of Admirals making mind-numbing speeches while we listen on in a stupor.

Riker has a grin on his face when I tell him; I think he has a sadistic streak in him.

"Well, Number One, we'd better take the Enterprise off to the conference."

"Yes, sir. Set a course for Starbase 2, Warp Factor 7"

Admiral Yamamoto talks to me via the video screen.

"Well, Captain, we're glad that we'll finally be able to see you there."

Another sarky one. I can take a hint.

"I look forward to seeing you at the conference, Admiral. I'm sorry that I've been unable to come on previous times, but will definately be here this time. Picard out."

To take my mind off the problem, I go to the holodeck for some horseriding. For quite a while I do some great jumps with the stallion, but with one jump, I land awkwardly, fall off the horse and black out.

The next thing I know, I'm in Sickbay.

Beverly is treating me.

"You had a nasty fall, Jean-Luc. You shouldn't be jumping at your ag....I mean without the holo safety on."

"How am I, Doctor?"

"You've got bad bruises all over, and need plenty of rest in SickBay"

"But, what about the conference?"

"You're in no condition to go there, Jean-Luc."

Riker comes in to ask how I am. He's still grinning.

"Number One, you'll have to go to the conference as my representative."

I've never seen his grin fall away so fast. I'll have to remember this excuse next year.

3 comments:

R.A. Slater said...

Sorry for the bruises, but at least you were able to get out of the conference {boooring}....

Jean-Luc Picard said...

It's painful to sit down, but not as painful as listening to an Admiral talk endlessly.

RenaSherwood said...

Brilliant! You're my hero! You should bring the stallion to Data's poetry recitals!