Sunday, September 24, 2006

The Reality Barrier (Part One)

We've been sent to investigate an apparent 'fracture in space' that has happened as a result of Starfleet testing their new 'MegaMissiles'.

That's typical; cause a problem and send the Enterprise to sort it all out. Has anyone noticed the frequency of these happenings?

After a day's travel, we are now in the Barnarian Sector; sensors are going crazy. Data's reasoning for this is "I do not know."

Very helpful.

As we approach, we see a giant crack in the space/time continuum. This always seems to happen.

"Indications are that the gap is getting wider and will not stop." Data tells me, "The probe we sent has disappeared; there appears to be absolutely nothing of the real universe in there."

"I sense there is something" Deanna informs me, "And it's coming out of the barrier."

That's a first; Deanna telling me that is not glaringly obvious.

Suddenly there is a blinding flash from the barrier and despite the fact that we have shields up, two figures appear on the bridge.



As the pair appear to be harmess, I go to greet them.

"Hello, I am Captain Jean-Luc Picard of the USS Enterprise. Would you like to...."

"LUCEEE!!!" shouts the man to the woman, "What have you done this time!"

"Ricky!" she stammers, "It's not my fault, maybe Fred and Ethel know something about it all. Why don't you go and ask them?"

"Oh, sure, Lucy!" he tells her, "I'll just walk upstairs, shall I?"

"Would you mind telling me who you are?" I ask.

"I'm Ricky Ricardo, and this is my wife Lucy" the man tells us, "Where are we?"

"You're on the 24th Century starship Enterprise, Mr Ricardo." Riker tells them.

They look stunned.

"I don't know how you got us into this mess, Lucy." says Ricky, "But I can't see it getting sorted out in half an hour."

Data tells me quietly that the two of them never really existed, but were characters in a 20th century Earth television show.

"They are real now, Mr Data" I inform him.

"That is true, Captain." he says, "The Barrier is a pathway between real and unreality."

Another sudden flash, and a single character joins Lucy and Ricky.



The figure is a 20th Century military figure; he swiftly looks around, sees me and gets out a pack of cards.

"Pick a card!" he asks.

I look at Riker, who smiles. A card is selected; the ten of clubs.

"Put it back in the pack." says the man. He then shuffles them around and a card pops up.

"Ten of clubs!" he asks?

"Yes" I reply, "But who are you.."

"I'm Master Sergeant Ernie Bilko" he replies, "Just call me Ernie; do you want to play poker? If you've got a few dollars, let's see how good you are."

"I'm err...sorry...Ernie," I tell him, "We don't have currency in this society"

"Boy, am I in the wrong location!" he says to himself, "What kind of place is this?"

"It's a kind of spaceship in the 24th Century, Ernie." Lucy tells him, "I can't think how we ended up here."

Data tells me that Bilko is another character from an Earth tv show, and that as the Barrier grows wider, the two universes could mix.

"You mean...?" Deanna asks.

"Yes, Counselor." Data continues, "The real and unreal universes could all be one."

To be continued...

19 comments:

Panthergirl said...

You are too funny, Jean-Luc!! And I thought I was bad with my SIMS storylines!

Here via michele again... always a pleasure.

Anonymous said...

Nice to see Bilko feature in your story. It's true what Data says: "The real and unreal universes could all be one". that's how Earth often seems.

Anonymous said...

Maybe Alf or Mork will pop in, they would mix right in with some of the crew!

Sleepless Mama said...

I just can't stop giggling! My husband thinks I'm nuts.

So, Cap'n, who's coming along next?

Summer Dawn O'Ciardha said...

I feel really young. I know Lucy and Ricky, but the other one.

I guess I am just a kid.

Erifia Apoc said...

Shoot them! They are colored in Sepia. They must be evil.

Professor Xavier said...

I know my personal barrier between reality and fantasy often blurs. Usually looking at that picture of Erifia will do it to me.

Erifia Apoc said...

*Giggle* Professor, you always know the rights things to say to make me blush.

Greeneyes said...

INTERESTING BLOG ! WILL BE BACK TO READ MORE
TAKE CARE

GREENEYES

Clare said...

You have a great blog Jean-Luc :).

Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

Sgt Bilko can help you out of this. He's usually pretty good at coming up with ideas and getting out of jams.

merlyn said...

well this is cool... let me know if McGyver shows up... he could probably fix this with a swiss army knife, some dental floss and a piece of Romulan uniform.

xxs and oos
Merly


ps. I know it's my turn to email...

Nepharia said...

Tell me when the casts from Lost in Space or Land of the Giants show up -- those were my favorite when I was a very young padawan.

The Curmudgeon said...

merlyn gabriel -- if MacGyver shows up let's just hope that Jack O'Neill does not. There may be some sort of temporal overload.

Captain, very appropriate of you to choose Lucy and Ricky as the first persons to come across in this story. After all, Star Trek, the original series was filmed by Desilu Studios (Desi Arnaz -- Ricky -- and Lucille Ball). Layers on layers in these stories....

no_average_girl said...

Hi captain...had to take a necessary leave of absence, but now request permission to re-board and resume duties! :-)

One small change, URL has changed to http://noaveragegirl1.blogspot.com

merlyn said...

Curmudgeon: If MacGyver and Jack O'Neill did both show up that would just be very scarey....quick thinking vs quick sarcasm...I not sure that would count as temporal over load more like total brain overload from way too much personality in the same room. I don't think the universe would be big enough to handle the two of them at once. But on the whole I'd rather hang with the Colonel.

Of course if the entire SGC - SG1 team showed up I think the Enterprise would be in serious trouble...Daniel would want to discover all he could, Carter would want to backwards engineer the ship to find out how the warp drive would work and whether or not it would interfere with gate travel, Teal'c would probably get into an eyebrow arching contest with the resident Vulcan ( there must be one some where)or maybe he and Dax would have something to talk about seeing as how they both carry symbiotes and Jack ...well... let's not go there...

Meow (aka Connie) said...

How cool, having Lucy and Ricky on board. Bet they made for some fun times.
Hope you are well.
Take care, Meow

Trinity13 said...

Just watch out for people claiming to be on "a three hour tour"!

Osquer said...

Who you really need is Barney Fife! He'd nip the problem in the bud!