Sunday, May 27, 2007

Through A Mirror, Strictly (Part One)

Gaius IV is a world Starfleet haven't explored before. As we are in the vicinity, we have been sent to take a look at it.

Sensors show it is deserted, but there are a few old buildings around.

Data, Geordi, Worf, Ro and myself are in the Away Team beaming down. I like to be in the group that visit. After all, I'm the Captain!

The trouble is, those in Away Teams to get eliminated; it's a high risk strategy.

When we appear on the planet, see see a lot of ruined buildings, ancient columns and walls that have long since collapsed due to age.

"All right" I say to the team, "Data and Geordi, you look over there to the north; Worf and Ro, you search that cluster of buildings over to the south. As for me, I'll look right here in these chambers."



"Are you sure you will be alright, Captain?" warns Worf, "You have no one with you. Perhaps you ought to come with Ensign Ro and myself?"

"Don't worry, Mr Worf." I reply, "I know how to look after myself."

I should listen to others, of course; things never run smoothly. We must me the most incident-prone ship in Starfleet.

As the others explore, I go into the ancient rooms that still remain standing; eventually, I come across something rather odd.

A giant mirror.

On the frame are a set of numbers. The marker is set to 'seven'. I take a closer look.

Why do I do it? New New Years Resolution ought to be 'Don't be so curious'.

When I touch the mirror, I find my hand goes through it, and in a moment of extreme silliness, as I must have left my brain on the Enterprise, I step through.

Everything is exactly how it was, nothing has altered. I do notice that the marker is at 'twelve', though.

"Captain!" calls out Worf, "Ensign Ro is injured. Some debris fell on her."

I run out, thinking nothing more about the mirror incident, and go to where Data, Geordi and Worf are, with Ro lying down.

The three turn round and salute quickly; Ro, dazed she is, looks and manages a weak little salute. I notice that her bare arms are covered and the Bajoran jewelry she always wears is missing.

"I'm sorry I can't stand up, Captain Picard." she says, "I think I have concussion."

In surprise, I salute back.

"That's alright, Ensign." I tell her, "Let's beam back and get you to SickBay."

---------------

In the transport room, I am greeted by a barrage of salutes; everyone looks as if they daren't put a foot wrong. I try to keep remembering to salute as I greet everyone.

What's going on? Has there been a new Starfleet directive? I could believe that!

Going to SickBay, I am greeted by Beverly, who is treating Ro.



Bev stops and salutes me.

"Ensign Ro Laren will be able to resume duties in two hours, sir." she informs me.

"That's good to know." I reply. Then I ask Beverly to quietly speak to me.

"What's with all the salutes, Bev?" I ask her, "You are behaving very officiously today, as is everybody else. What about our date tonight? I hope you're not going to be officious then!"

I reach forward and kiss her on the cheek.

Beverly looks shocked.

"Unhand me, Captain!" she shouts, slapping my cheek, "You know that Starfleet employees are not allowed to fraternise! Male and female contact is strictly forbidden in this galaxy, with the body covered with clothes at all times."

My mind recalls the incident with the mirror on Gaius IV.

This may not be the universe I belong to. I wonder what is going on in my universe?

To be continued...

19 comments:

Stacey said...

You're very right--we all have those days; and we all work right through them, or maybe claw our way through them, idk. :)

flutter said...

cop a feel, she'll love it

Nic said...

Oh dear! Methink's you're not in Kansas, errrrr, well you know, anymore.

Jana said...

Oh, my, no male/female contact? That just won't do.

Get.Out.Now.

Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

That's a pretty strict universe you got yourself into.

You'd think that they'd at least relax the saluting rules a bit for the doctors who are up to their elbows in patience.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Perhaps the best solution is to have the hand permanantly affixed to the side of the head in 'salute' mode?

Unknown said...

no male - female contact thats gonna lead to some serious tension...

I think you need to find your (stargate) an get back home sir *salutes*

lol

always a good read

Michele sent me....

Im sure she's salute as well

Anonymous said...

Ha! Great post as always. Looking forward to the next installment. I've never been able to watch the televised episodes without thinking of your posted episodes since I found your blog on Michele's some months ago. I love it :)

Here via Michele today.

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

oh my word, i need chocolate!

smiles, bee

Anonymous said...

Haha! A great installment, Captain! Should I salute?? Are we in this parallel universe too? :D:D

Wow - no male-female contact....I think that sooner or later people will find a way around that rule, as they always do...

kenju said...

Uh, Beverly is out of sorts today? Tune in tomorrow.......

Michele sent me!

Stacey said...

Jean-Luc--

Aww thanks, I'm good. It just hits hard this time of year EVERY single time. You'd think by now I'd be ready to put up my glove and catch that curve ball!

PS--I feel very inept here- I don't get this entry like everyone else does...but I for different reasons as Bee--I could go for some chocolat, lol.

Unknown said...

Jean-Luc - I thought away missions were only dangerous for the expendable crew members. Hurry back to Universe 7.

Tawnya Shields said...

I do no think I would enjoy this universe. Time to leave Dodge as they say here in the states. :o)

Ciera said...

I wonder---was there another Jean-Luc that ended up in your universe? *gasp* what happens when Bev cops a feel on him??

The Mistress of the Dark said...

Oh dear...There are a lot of strange universes out there...and the captain always seems to find them :(

The Curmudgeon said...

At least they're saluting you -- so far -- and not throwing you in the brig.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Ciera, well now you know after seeing Part Two.

MOTD, you're right; we never find a normal universe.

Curmudgeon, you're right there.

Titania, that's a great expression!

Stacey, we could do with some chocolate.

M. C. Pearson said...

Hilarious...too close to the US Military. Ug. I hated the PDA policies!