Thursday, August 30, 2007

Bowling Tournament (Part Two)

The Enterprise Bowling Tournament is about to start, with a few last-minute changes to my team.

With Jadzia off injured, and Worf treating her, my team is two short. The rules prevent her being treated right away before a match.

It's no great loss, as Jadzia is such an awful player.

Still, I've had to recruit two players who have never been in the Tournament before; T'Pol and Seven Of Nine.

I expect a lot of crowing from Riker's team, consisting of him, Deanna, Data and Ro Laren.

Bev and I with two inexperienced players against four top bowlers.

Why don't we just give them the cup now.

"It appears that your chances of success are limited, Captain." Data informs me. Is this his android way of telling me something. It's a good job his emotion chip is switched off.

Riker goes first.



"STTT-RIKE!!!!" he shouts, and high fives everyone in the team. Data willingly complies. I think he's turned that emotion chip on.

I bowl a modest delivery, then Data gets a strike, as expected, which he celebrates enthusiastically.

Beverly manages to get a strike, though, and the two of us high-five as well. Bev then high-fives T'Pol and Seven, who seems a little confused by it all.

"You all have a strange way of celebrating, Locutus." she observes.

Now it is T'Pol's turn.

She strides up, looks at the bowl as if it's her worst enemy...then delivers it perfectly.



"STTT-RIKE!!!! I believe, Captain Picard." she says with an air of triumph, while looking at Riker's team, who are amazed."

"How did you learn to do that, T'Pol?" I ask.

"Why did you assume that bowling did not take place in the Terran Empire?" she replies, "I was the top player there."

After Ro Laren delivers an adequate bowl, Seven comes forward.

She holds the ball and delivers a perfect strike.

"STTT-RIKE!!!! is the response you humans give." she remarks, "Before you ask, Locutus, the Borg have assimilated many top bowling players over the galaxy. As a result, we have our own inter-Cube bowling matches. I was the top player in the Unimatrix 01 Cube team. Had you bothered to ask, you would have been aware."

Over the rest of the match, we thrash Riker's team and get the trophy.

"Well done, Beverly, T'Pol and Seven." I say to my team.

"We were indeed the best." comments Seven, "Resistance was futile."

35 comments:

The Curmudgeon said...

That'll teach him, Captain.

Now -- see if you can't get Riker a ship of his own in the next couple of weeks -- before the sting wears off -- you may finally be rid of him!

Jana said...

And for dinner, Riker had a nice big serving of crow! Yum!

craziequeen said...

Ahah!! See, I knew those two girls would just whup the opposition..

'whup'? Am I becoming transatlantic?

Will you order Riker to polish your trophy.......?? You know, as part of his 'duties'.... :-))

cq

Vince Briefs said...

Way to go Cap! And Batgirl says thanks for the compliment, What's that about?

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

captain, do they have cake in bowling alleys? just askin'...

smiles, bee

A Army Of (Cl)One said...

see you should never underestimate the freaks under your command. Just keep a close eye on them at all time.

Unknown said...

Congrats - good thing I wasn't on the team :)

Tawnya Shields said...

Congratulations is in order. Well done! What a surprise for everyone. I still wish I could have seen watched that game.

Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

STTT-RIKE!!!!

sweet.

Linda said...

Resistance is futile and victory is SWEET!!!

The Mistress of the Dark said...

Woo Hooo. I bet bowling might have been up Ensign Britney's alley, so to speak.

Bilbo said...

I rather figured Seven would have just assimilated the whole alley and declared victory, but I liked the outcome. Great story!

A Army Of (Cl)One said...

I am back again to tell you of my recent bowling expirence.

I watched a Star Trek Bowling contest. Jean Luc's team won.


Hello from Michele (with one L)

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Assimilating the opponents might have been an extreme measure to take, Bilbo.

Bee, I'm sure they would have cake for you.

Anne said...

"Hello" from Michele, "Nice!" from me.

Pat said...

I'm a stranger here myself bur YAY for the girls! I wouldn't want you to think I'm sexist! And Michele knows I'm not:)

-E said...

I'm visiting via Michele and hope you have a fantastic weekend. And now I wish I had friends who liked to bowl.

carmilevy said...

Hi Captain. Dropped in from Michele's to say hi.

These two entries remind me why I so very much enjoy the sport of bowling. It's such a social activity!

Jaime said...

LOL!!

I can't bowl my way out of a wet paper bag!

Lahdeedah said...

See,

I just go for the beer frames.

pilgrimchick said...

The end of this story is great--fabulous.

Anonymous said...

I knew it!! I knew T'pol and Seven would rock!

"Resistance was futile" Man, I need to assimilate some of Seven's confidence! ;)

David Edward said...

hello captain, just dropping by.

Black Widow said...

way to go :)

Unknown said...

I knew they would pull it off!

Real Life Drama Queen said...

I knew it. About time you won! Great story as always.

eastcoastlife said...

Oooo... they even have bowling on different planets! I can't bowl. I wish I could watch you play.

Anonymous said...

I featured this blog on my 'Blog Day 2007' post. A great site and I like the angle.

You have a new fan just as long as I don't have to be a red shirt. They never last long hehe.

gautami tripathy said...

What do I do to get recruited?


Michele sent here to ask that.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

To tell the truth, I can't bowl either!

Chris, I'll keep the red shirts away from you.

Guatami, are you a good bowler?

Black Widow, good to hear from you.

Hooly, perhaps Seven needs to teach assertivness?

Amanda said...

LOL! Inter-cube bowling matches!

TX said...

I new you would win now let us celebrate

Unknown said...

Is there anything the Borg doesn'tassimilate? Should've asked Picard. Riker's hair looks a bit red in the pic, doesn't it? :)

Anonymous said...

You have really great taste on catch article titles, even when you are not interested in this topic you push to read it

Anonymous said...

I didn't understand the concluding part of your article, could you please explain it more?