Sunday, July 22, 2007

The Lurkers (Part One)

"Captain," says Data, "We have just received an Emergency message from Starfleet Command."

"Very well, Mr Data." I reply, "I'll take it in my Ready Room."

"No, sir." he adds, "Admiral Jensen is insisting that it is heard on the Bridge by all the staff."

This sounds serious. I hope Starfleet are not planning to send any auditors on board.

The screen flickers to life with the face of Admiral Jensen.

"Captain Picard, members of the Enterprise." he starts, "Starfleet is facing a serious problem from a mysterious race called the Lurkers."

I try and keep a straight face and listen further. Jensen spots the slight smile on my face.

"This is no laughing matter, Picard!" he tells me firmly, "The Lurkers are a shadowy race that are threatening the very fabric of the Federation. There is no way to detect them, but they just remain in the shadows observing all that we do. We fear that once they have, they will invade us."

"How did we find out about them, Admiral?"

"One night in Starfleet Headquarters." Jensen answers, "A cleaner was looking around and he noticed a dark figure looking through the secret Federation databases."



"Couldn't he be caught?" I ask.

"No." replies, Jensen, "The Lurker just told the cleaner that the Lurker race will be supreme over the galaxy then disappeared into thin air."

"This is a grave threat. What can we do?" I ask him.

"We have noticed that Lurkers are being more prominent in the area of space you are in now." he replies, "Their home planet may be around there. You must find a way to stop them before it is too late, Captain. The future of Starfleet depends on you. The Lurkers cannot be allowed to win!"

The screen flickers off.

"We always get the tough jobs." comments Riker, "How are we supposed to fight against darkened figures? Shadow boxing?"

"I don't know, Number One." I reply, "Any suggestions?"

"I think we need to get hold of one and see what their weakness may be." Data tells me.

"That might be true., Data." Deanna says, "But how does one catch a shadow?"

For once, Data is stumped for an answer, just as if he were trying to understand a joke that Geordi might have told him.

"I say we assimilate all the Lurkers!" Seven of Nine tells me firmly.

"It would be interesting to see how you get a shadow into an Assimilation Chamber, Seven." I reply, "And fitting implants might be quite a challenge for the Borg Queen."

Seven looks digusted at me in her typical 'Borg-are-supreme' look.

I decide to do my pep talk to get them ready for action.

"The Lurkers cannot be allowed to defeat us." I tell them, "They are everywhere, in the darkest corners. Look out for them; they are watching what we do. But we can defeat them together, as we stand firm!"

Everybody looks blank when I finish.

--------------

Several hours later, we arrive at the Twilight Cluster, a group of planets with hardly any sunlight.

"There could be a good chance the Lurkers are here." Riker tells me.

"Yes, Number One." I reply, "Let's investigate."

I take an Away Party down consisting of myself, Riker, Beverly, Deanna, Worf, Data and Geordi.
We look around; everywhere seems very dark, except for a few light shafts.

"How can we find shadowy creatures in this darkness?" Worf declares in disgust.

"By turning around, Klingon." says a voice from a shaft of light behind.



To be continued...


27 comments:

Bob-kat said...

Beware the lurkers! I've been known to do some lurking myself :)

I will have to come back to see who these lurkers are though.

Michele sent me again!

susan said...

Got visions of the Borg Queen trying to assimilate a shadow - brilliant.

Linda said...

If these turn out to be the same Lurkers who have been hanging around my sector of the Blogosphere I ask that you give them a message from me to stop lurking around and just leave a doggone comment once in awhile!

Lavender said...

Eeep! Whats Worf gonna do - if he cant scare a shadow I dont know who can.....(what a great idea for a story!) Its no use now lurkers, best to just de-lurk now :)

Titania Starlight said...

I agree with the rest of the crew commenting. I think the lurkers live on a Planet called the Blogosphere. They are lurking around my hub also. Drats! What can we do? :o)

Darth Nepharia said...

Hey, Google analytics does a good job of identifying where the lurkers are!

Lansy said...

Awwwww, scary!

dragonflyfilly said...

i dunno, this sounds like a case of some being afraid of their own shadow, but then maybe i am just suffering from a severe case of "transference" -- after my narrow escape from the "body snatchers" (no seriously, i was beginning to think that those people from the Landmark Forum are none other than....you know!)...

sorry, but i'm having a hard time keeping myself from laughing out loud: "lurkers?....hmmmmm....

later, i have to go check under my bed, i think i heard a funny scrating noise!

pj

Real Life Drama Queen said...

Definatly be back for part two!

Great job!

Nienke Hinton said...

I am a lurker, and you'll never get me! We will rule the world!

Nienke Hinton said...

Oops, shoulda gone anonymous, eh?

Mother Jones RN said...

I can't wait to see what happens next!

MJ

The Curmudgeon said...

Shadow boxing? Brilliant!

Jean-Luc Picard said...

We have to expose the Lurkers, everybody. Nienke Hilton has been caught!

All you Lurkers out there...we are after you!

SassyAssy said...

Well, I would never ever want to be accused of being a lurker!

Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

Darn lurkers.

*shakes fist*

Maybe you can shine a light or something on them.

dragonflyfilly said...

Off topic: but in answer to your comment at The Blethering Place:-I have exhausted Agatha Cristie so don't suggest her...but anything else is worth a try. If i don't like it i will simply go back to the Library.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

dragonflyfilly said...

chuckle chuckle chuckle....honestly, all this "lurking" lunacy is making me laugh and laugh and laugh...which is a GOOD thing!

i love it! (and i'm sorry if i can't take it seriously, but, on the other hand, maybe i'm not supposed to take it seriously)

*sigh*
i think i need to get out more often!

Amanda said...

LOL! I'm laughing too! That picture of that 'lurker' looking at the PC gave me a good chuckle.

Lansy said...

Looking out from my highrising room, i can see so many highrise building in front of me with tight curtains. That makes me remember captain's post. The worry for The lurkers with hidden agenda must be one of the main reasons for the almost air-proof curtains.

The world we live in.

dragonflyfilly said...

....something was "lurking" in my sub-conscious, so i had to pop back. That shadow look very familiar...

......

......

......

it looks like ME!

{OH MY GAWD, i'm the lurker!

Somerset Bob said...

Hey Captain,

I have an award for you - see this post:

http://www.bobkingsley.co.uk/blog/?p=119

The Mistress of the Dark said...

Uh oh...no more lurking.

Summer Dawn O'Ciardha said...

Wait, am I a lurker?

And Captain, to fight a shadow, I might suggest a little, Light? I know: I've been a little dark my whole life.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

As you can see from Part Two, light may well be the answer., as Summer & Jon say.

Dragonflyfilly, you don't look like a Lurker to me.

Somerset Bob, thanks for that Award.

Lansy, good thoughts about the Lurkers.

Amanda, the picture made me laugh as well.

dragonflyfilly said...

hhehhhheheheh, *evil chuckle*

Anonymous said...

豆豆聊天室 aio交友愛情館 2008真情寫真 2009真情寫真 aa片免費看 捷克論壇 微風論壇 大眾論壇 plus論壇 080視訊聊天室 情色視訊交友90739 美女交友-成人聊天室 色情小說 做愛成人圖片區 豆豆色情聊天室 080豆豆聊天室 小辣妹影音交友網 台中情人聊天室 桃園星願聊天室 高雄網友聊天室 新中台灣聊天室 中部網友聊天室 嘉義之光聊天室 基隆海岸聊天室 中壢網友聊天室 南台灣聊天室 南部聊坊聊天室 台南不夜城聊天室 南部網友聊天室 屏東網友聊天室 台南網友聊天室 屏東聊坊聊天室 雲林網友聊天室 大學生BBS聊天室 網路學院聊天室 屏東夜語聊天室 孤男寡女聊天室 一網情深聊天室 心靈饗宴聊天室 流星花園聊天室 食色男女色情聊天室 真愛宣言交友聊天室 情人皇朝聊天室 上班族成人聊天室 上班族f1影音視訊聊天室 哈雷視訊聊天室 080影音視訊聊天室 38不夜城聊天室 援交聊天室080 080哈啦聊天室 台北已婚聊天室 已婚廣場聊天室 夢幻家族聊天室 摸摸扣扣同學會聊天室 520情色聊天室 QQ成人交友聊天室 免費視訊網愛聊天室 愛情公寓免費聊天室 拉子性愛聊天室 柔情網友聊天室 哈啦影音交友網 哈啦影音視訊聊天室 櫻井莉亞三點全露寫真集 123上班族聊天室 尋夢園上班族聊天室 成人聊天室上班族 080上班族聊天室 6k聊天室 粉紅豆豆聊天室 080豆豆聊天網 新豆豆聊天室 080聊天室 免費音樂試聽 流行音樂試聽 免費aa片試看A片 免費a長片線上看 色情貼影片 免費a長片 本土成人貼圖站 大台灣情色網 台灣男人幫論壇 A圖網 嘟嘟成人電影網 火辣春夢貼圖網 情色貼圖俱樂部 台灣成人電影 絲襪美腿樂園 18美女貼圖區 柔情聊天網 707網愛聊天室聯盟 台北69色情貼圖區 38女孩情色網 台灣映像館 波波成人情色網站 美女成人貼圖區 無碼貼圖力量 色妹妹性愛貼圖區 日本女優貼圖網 日本美少女貼圖區 亞洲風暴情色貼圖網 哈啦聊天室 美少女自拍貼圖 辣妹成人情色網 台北女孩情色網 辣手貼圖情色網 AV無碼女優影片 男女情色寫真貼圖 a片天使俱樂部 萍水相逢遊戲區 平水相逢遊戲區 免費視訊交友90739 免費視訊聊天 辣妹視訊 - 影音聊天網 080視訊聊天室 日本美女肛交 美女工廠貼圖區 百分百貼圖區 亞洲成人電影情色網 台灣本土自拍貼圖網 麻辣貼圖情色網 好色客成人圖片貼圖區 711成人AV貼圖區 台灣美女貼圖區 筱萱成人論壇 咪咪情色貼圖區 momokoko同學會視訊 kk272視訊 情色文學小站 成人情色貼圖區 嘟嘟成人網 嘟嘟情人色網 - 貼圖區 免費色情a片下載 台灣情色論壇 成人影片分享 免費視訊聊天區 微風 成人 論壇 kiss文學區 taiwankiss文學區